Thursday, June 27, 2013

Fighting for Joy


Sometimes it can be hard to be joyful, it seems like I too often find myself feeling discontent or frustrated with one thing or another in my life, things that didn’t work out the way I planned, expectations I didn’t meet, times I felt hurt. I feel like I am learning from the people here what it really means to seek joy. This doesn’t mean just ignoring or not facing hardships but it does mean choosing not to dwell on them but instead to find yourself consumed by the joy that God has brought into your life. Today we encountered some unexpected adventures; we had a slight delay in our plans when our van got stuck on a dirt road in between two villages after a hard rainstorm. About three hours later due to the assistance of many good Samaritans we made it out, and although I am sure that staying overnight in our van in the middle of the jungle would have been an adventure I have never been so grateful to return safely home to Kasei. My friends here have been showing me lately that being joyful depends more on how you choose to live out your life than on whatever circumstance you find yourself in moment to moment.  Today was definitely a trial in that but honestly I know when I look back I will always see today as a precious memory, not wasted time. God helped me find joy in today and in so many countless other places already this summer. Today I was humbled by the selfless compassion of the three men who came riding up on a motorbike and not only stopped to help us but also stayed with us a couple of hours and recruited more help in order to make sure we made it out. I was blessed by our conversations in a combination of Twi and English and much shared laughter as these strangers willingly became coated in dirt and mud helping us dig out our van.  I am in awe of the grace and joy shown to us by them despite the fact that we had suddenly interrupted their lives and become such an inconvenience to them.  Even in places where we may be tempted to let negativity, worry, or fear creep in we can instead let faith and peace take its place, trusting that whatever may come, our God is still in control. There is so much joy and life surrounding me here in Ghana even amidst more struggles and brokenness than I have ever known. I find joy in sweaty little hands holding onto mine even though I wish I had enough shoes for every pair of bare feet caked in dirt and food to fill all the empty tummies, I find joy in playing volleyball at my friends home even when we lose the ball down the well, I find joy in spending more and more time with them even though I am made aware of the of the hardships they face every day, I find joy in sharing peoples lives with them even as I am broken by the poverty that surrounds me, I find joy in singing along in church even though I can’t understand the words, I find joy in helping people feel better even if I have to stick them with needles, I find joy in working in the hospital alongside the staff even though I wish I was capable of doing so much more to help, I find joy in playing cards with some of the patients at the ward in the hospital even though I know I will have to see some of them tomorrow when I help out in surgery, and I find so much joy in the friends I have made even though I know the life they lead is very different from my own and that I cannot be sure after I leave when I may get the chance to see them again. Some blessings here are obvious and easy to see like knocking down a ripe papaya from the tree outside our house or making our friend Solomon his first birthday card for his 25th birthday, others not quite so much like having plenty of hydrocortisone cream to put on all of our bug bites or being able to get an IV in on the first try. I am grateful for every moment that I have been given here, both the difficult and the wonderful ones, and the joy that I have found in them all. Romans 8, Philippians 4:4-13, Psalm 103

No comments:

Post a Comment